Paradise with Historic Trained Fruit Trees
Middachten Castle is one of the best preserved Dutch castles. The castle dates back to the 12th century (rebuilt in 1698) and ranks among the Dutch Top 100 UNESCO heritage sites.
Espalier Trained Fruit Trees
Middachten Castle has straight fruit walls with lots of old espalier fruit in different shapes, including: cordon, candelabra, palmette and fan types.
Other highlights at Middachten Castle:
- gardens (inspired by the castle gardens of Castle Versailles dating back to 1700)
- orangery (with tub plants / tearoom and summer exhibition)
- green theater (with open air concerts in the summer)
- museum (authentically furnished rooms in the castle)
- estate around the castle (with sustainable forestry)
Landgoed Middachten 3
6994 JC De Steeg
Opening Hours & Admission Prices
Tips for Visitors
- Espalier Fruit Tree tour
In summertime you can take a Garden Tour on your own. Sometimes a special tour is given about the collection of espalier fruit trees. Consult the website for up-to-date info. Access to the castle is limited to special occasions.
- Book a Picnic Basket
Order a picnic basket in advance and enjoy it in the garden during lunchtime.
- Book B&B Castle Middachten
Middachten Castle offers a historic Bed & Breakfast for an overnight stay. This way you can immerse yourself in ancient times and have plenty of time to enjoy this romantic location.